Dear Janet

Today is my last day of "freedom" - at least that's what my sweet, elderly neighbor jokingly said as I got out of my car a few minutes ago.  While I don't consider myself oppressed by my work, I suppose he means that after today I won't be able to run an errand in town at 10:00 a.m. while wearing leggings as pants anymore.  That is truly how we are "celebrating" this final day of summer.  As I type, we are all wearing clothing that could double as pajamas.  My two youngest are baking a recipe they found on the internet and the oldest has not yet emerged from her room and is probably enjoying her last summer slumber.

I didn't plan to run any errands today, but apparently we were short a few tablespoons of butter and I did not want to squelch the non-screen activity choices being made at my house.  As I turned into the parking lot, I realized that I was lucky to be able to do an errand today.  It is Labor Day and the workers *should* be able to have the day off.  But, the store was open and fairly busy for a holiday.

I got the butter and a few other items "fell" into my cart and I made a beeline for the checkout lines.  I surveyed the length of the two open lines and chose one of them.  I had to wait, but it was only a few customers deep in each line.  No big deal.  As I waited, two ladies paused behind me and one of them sighed loudly and said, "You see, this is why I always shop in Cambridge.  In Cambridge, this never happens."  She didn't even try to pretend this complaint wasn't meant for the calm, efficient gal working in the check-out lane.  She barely finished her complaint when a man approached her and told her he could help her in line four.  I am 100% certain he had no idea she had just complained, but all of us around her did.  I waited for her to apologize or say something...anything...to demonstrate her embarrassment for being such a colossal pain in the ass.  But, nope.  She huffed over and complained about there being lines at all.  

Seriously.  

I stood in my line and watched this unfold and I got ticked.  Not because I had to wait in line, but because people like this... Let's call her "Janet," shall we...  people like "Janet" think they are so very special that the world should roll out a red carpet and cater to their every need at every waking moment.  I wanted to say something to "Janet," but something prevented me....maybe it was good sense and kindness, but I'd guess it was actually cowardice.  

So this blog post is for all the "Janets" in the world.  

First off, "Janet," don't even act like lines never happen in Cambridge.  I shop in Cambridge too and I often have to wait in line.  Unless you shop at midnight most days, you have stood in a line in Cambridge.

Second, my first grade students handle standing in line better than you did.  It's called patience.  You should try to find some.  I don't think they sell it at Wal-Mart, though.  Sorry about that.  

Third, here's some perspective for you.  It was Labor Day.  The gal in the check out lane that you were huffing and puffing about was working.  On Labor Day...  The day we celebrate things like weekends and holiday pay and child labor laws.   She probably makes like $10.00 per hour (or something close to it) and was working on her kids' last day of summer.  Every single one of those workers remained patient, calm, courteous, and kind as you threw your mini-temper tantrum.  They definitely don't get paid enough to deal with the "Janets" of the world.  

Guess what, "Janet"...  In some places, you have to walk miles and miles to stand in line for a long time to get some basic rice concoction so they can survive.  In Houston, the grocery stores are underwater and people would love to be able to stand in line, no matter the length.  In some very rural communities in our own state, there is no grocery store and you have to drive many miles just to get to a place that sells food.  In other communities, they may have a grocery store, but it isn't open on Labor Day.  And, good for them, by the way.  Just because you didn't shop before Labor Day, doesn't mean that store shouldn't honor their workers with a day off.  In our own community, families wait in line for a long time to gain access to the food shelf...the place they can get food just once per month.  

Waiting is a part of life.  I guarantee there are people on this planet who have it way worse than you do, "Janet."  Seriously... There's a lot of social injustice in this world and I'm all for speaking out about it, but you having to wait a few minutes in a grocery store line is not a hill anyone needs to die on.  For real...

You see, "Janet."  We all have choices.  No one *loves* waiting in line, but you had an opportunity to extend grace and gratitude toward people who were working on a holiday and doing so with smiles on their faces.  Instead, you chose to be grouchy and behave like an entitled, petulant pre-schooler.  If you want to live a miserable life, that's your business, but please keep it to yourself from now on.  In any event, those kind folks don't deserve your huffing and puffing.  

Next time, instead of sighing, take a deep breath.  Read the headlines on the magazines. Notice the little kids peeking at you around their mom's shoulder.  Make conversation with the gentleman standing behind you.  Greet the person checking your groceries and for heaven's sake, THANK THEM for their hard work.  And, finally, be thankful you have the ability to go to a grocery store on a holiday and purchase the things you need and probably some stuff you want and do it all in just a few minutes.

Happy Labor Day, "Janet."

Comments

Popular Posts